Saturday, December 19, 2009

Illustrating the Melting Pot of Ideas

The general consensus right now seems to be we are working on a fantasy film, but the question is how far removed from reality do we want to take it. When brainstorming about the style, our ideas were ranging from 9 to Saving Private Ryan. I went home afterwords thinking to myself "This is one massive spread, I better get on this ASAP!" Not an easy thing to try and resolve.

I want to make sure we develop a look that plays to the strengths of each member of our team creating the assets and ultimately is fun for everyone to work on. For example Alex Diaz, with his experience in the visualization industry is incredibly well suited to model, texture, and render real world environments and architecture. On the other hand Karen Ortiz has an incredible sense of design and staging that could really give our environments and characters a creative edge that serves the story. So this illustration is my attempt at merging everything together.


Even tried to work in a little back story with the set design, explaining how this unholy creature we came up with last meeting came into existence.

I want to also document right now that we did talk about the possibility of adding some slight humor, though it would not be our primary focus. The first Mummy and Indiana Jones movies come to mind where the characters are stuck in a serious situation, but how they react and the ridiculous nature of the conflict adds a hint of humor. I think the some of the ideas flowing right now could work with that sort of approach.

On a related note, here is an illustration I did of the main girl to plan out her clothing before doing another modeling pass. Again I'm trying to make her clothing reflect the world design, and look like it is from the same universe as the Soldier's uniform design as I envisioned it many months ago.

For comparison sake:

(The bow has been axed though)

Please give your comments, especially if you do not like the direction I have taken. Now is the time to change things, as more time goes by the amount of flexibility we have will start to diminish.



Edit: Oops, I spelled taxidermy wrong, oh well.

No response to “Illustrating the Melting Pot of Ideas”

Leave a Reply