Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cougar WIP

Here is the cougar/cat I have been working on. As you can see, I still have a long way to go in terms of detail, so before I go any further with this model. I want to see your thought on what I have so far. I also have some questions for you guys that will help me improve the design. I have a particular hard time modeling the back end, since there are still many unknowns. Your feedback will greatly help my process. : )

Do you see the cat and his mechanical parts exist in the same world setting as the girl & soldier? If not, what makes you feel that way?

Will we be having close-up shot of the cat? This will help me figure out the level of details I will need to achieve.

Are there things you want me to simplify/fix for the rigging process?

Are we expecting the cat to be fully rigged when the semester starts?






2 Responses to “Cougar WIP”

Crispy said...

Wow looking great! Really awesome job on the hard-surface modeling, doing a much better job than I could have done. I definitely know what it's like to hit that brick wall modeling where you are unsure of where to take the details next.

My thoughts are the design are as follows. Some of the parts are a little too curvy right now. Makes them look a tad bit too futuristic. The parts need to look a little more like they're spare parts thrown together, not custom made at some factory like say a car frame. I have an older image of the soldier character before I took him in a different direction that might help give you some style ideas:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4689/nick3n.jpg

I think the first 2 concept sketches you posted are more in tune with the design that would fit in with the world. I also like how the steam pipes there give some mass to back part of the body.

One thing you need to consider as well, he needs some sort of ball and socket joint for the upper hind legs so he has more freedom of movement. Right now his the range of motion for the legs look a bit limited. I could easily see the socket fitting in the center of the big circle area.


As far as the rigging the cat, it would be nice to have him finished before semester starts, but realistically I don't think he'll be ready till a week or two into the semester.

Don't worry though if the modeling is not done by then. We'll be animating through reference files which will allow us to continue to finalizing the details (both modeling and adding textures) without having to redo the rig.

Keep up the great work! Hope what I said is helpful.

Anonymous said...

U should watch cheetah run. The back muscle is very important for them to achieve high speed. Your mechanical cat would have weigh distribution problem, not to mention digestive problem. All those joints would be filled with dust in no time without protective covers.

Leave a Reply