Saturday, January 16, 2010

The New Materials We Will be Using!

As I mentioned a while back Maya has some big problems with Render Passes. Namely a 5X Render time increase bug (which I've notified an Autdesk rep of) and lack of EXR image file compression. I have been taking a very active role as of late in the Maya Rendering community at CGtalk to help solve these problems. After many months, we finally have a solution courtesy of Deex!



The Standard Shader

The Skin Shader

(+Many More)

The Render Outputs



Unfortunately there is only a Maya 2009 x64 PC compile at the moment. We'll need to find someone who can compile it for mac os.

So what does that leave? Well, we still need an automated Matte Pass creation solution. I'm trying to write a script for that here that will do it for us, but I'm no programmer so it may be a while before it's ready. Hoping someone else will come along and help.

Either way, this is a major breakthrough for us today. I'm hoping once semester starts we'll be able to start building assets with these shaders right away.

No response to “The New Materials We Will be Using!”

Leave a Reply